Here is a blurb on Christianity from my brain today. Sometimes I just have to organize these thoughts and get them out.
I have been thinking about how Christians speak & behave.
I understand the importance of identifying with a local church body & that the dynamic of a body of Christ should be complex, full of love, having accountability, convictions, edification, teaching, and encouragement. The bible directs us as Christians to worship together & be part of the body in Hebrews 10:24-25, And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much more as you see the Day approaching.
We know there are ungodly attitudes that some Christians have today, that turn people away from Christ and the church. For example, being unloving, unforgiving, discouraging, judgmental, etc. An unbeliever may have contact/relationship/friendship with one Christian, and it turns out that this Christian makes the unbeliever NOT want to learn more about Christ & gives him a negative view of ALL Christians. We are all sinners and this problem is a result of sin. It will continue to be a problem until the end of time and we go to live with our Father in heaven.
This problem is not a reason or excuse not to be part of a local body of Christ. It simply makes us pray harder and be more wise when trying to find a church to be a part of. This problem is also not a reason for a Christian to deny Christ, the church, or the word “Christian”, but it is all the more a reason to use these words and show others the love of Christ and what a Christian should really be, and to change the negative view that some have of the church by showing them something new.
All of this being said, I have a few people in mind that have shown me through their words and actions that, though I think attending services and meeting together with other believers is important, being passionately loving, forgiving, accepting, and encouraging is more important. This last sentence may not seem like much of a revelation. Of course we know God’s word tells us to be Christ-like in all of these ways. It isn’t news that we should be all that the bible commands us to be. But my point is in 1 Cor 13:1, Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become a sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. I love this verse. My thought here is that a believer that is Christ-like and always shows others love, but does not attend church, can still lead others to Christ. But a believer who is unloving, unforgiving, unkind, or uncompassionate, but goes to church, will still more likely turn others away from Christ.
I still think that God wants us to be part of a local church and to grow in the body of Christ, but I am reminded today in 1 Peter 4:8 that we should Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
1 Cor 13:13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
LOVE
No comments:
Post a Comment